The message of Gam-Anon is: Come join with them. They too were alone, afraid, and unable to cope with the deterioration in their relationships, the financial problems, and the debt caused by the gambling problem. They know that living with the effects of a loved one’s gambling can be too devastating to bear without help. Through Gam-Anon they find their way back to a normal way of thinking and living whether or not our loved ones continue to gamble. If a gambling problem is affecting your life, you may find help at a Gam-Anon meeting.
1. You will never feel alone. Gam-Anon offers daily peer support from people who share your concerns, with ongoing communication via meetings, telephone, text, email, etc.
2. They encourage a one-day-at-a-time process, making life more manageable and goals achievable.
3. They are all equal in Gam-Anon, always listening and learning from each other. No one is judgmental.
4. Gam-Anon’s mission is to share experience, strength and hope with those who are experiencing difficulties due to someone else’s gambling.
5. The help you receive does not depend on whether or not your loved one attends Gamblers Anonymous.
6. Gam-Anon members experience positive changes in their lives beyond the problem of someone else’s gambling. Learning how to use their well-established Twelve Step Program improves relationships with family, community, career, and most importantly with self.
7. With the help of Gam-Anon, their members regain confidence to make rational, sensible decisions, and they experience serenity.
8. Gam-Anon offers practical financial suggestions.
9. Anonymity is a guiding principle. What is said in a Gam-Anon room, who you see in a Gam-Anon room, stays in the room.
10. There are no fees, no insurance forms to fill out, no appointments necessary. Just show up at a meeting.